St. Barnabas. Brampton Bryan
St. Barnabas. Brampton Bryan. The present church is unusual in that built in 1656, it was one of only six churches built during the period of the English Commonwealth ( There is a leaflet naming the other churches that we believe were built during this time). It replaces an earlier building that was destroyed during the siege of Brampton Bryan castle during the civil war in 1643. The breadth of the church is all out of proportion to its length. Its nave and chancel are one, all covered by a very fine double hammer beam roof. The church contains one early 14th century monument to Lady Margaret de Brampton, shown holding her heart in her hands. St Barnabas is unlike a mainstream Anglican Church, the interior has been described as a 'Puritans Preaching Box'. More of this is available in leaflets in the church. Brampton Bryan village was destroyed during the English Civil War when the castle was besieged. This image of the Civil War re-enactors shows the armies marching back through the mists of time
I
PARISH of WIGMORE ABBEY
Sir Robert Harley Earl of Oxford and Earl of March Speaker of Parliament, Lord High Treasurer of Great Britain in the reign of Queen Anne The memorial to Sir Robert Harley is in St Barnabas Brampton Bryan. He was friends with Swift and Pope. Harley collected many ancient manuscripts which form part of the British museum’s collection. You may notice annotations to various old scripts attributing them to the Harley Collection
Forward St Barnabas
http://www.visitherefordshirechurches.co.uk/st-barnabas-brampton-bryan/
St Barnabas has successfully completed the first phase of its major Forward St Barnabas project for urgent repairs and improvements. Initial support for this from the Heritage Lottery Fund was followed by significant Grants from the Herefordshire Historic Churches Trust, Garfield Weston Foundation, Harley Charity, All Churches Trust, Laslett Charities, Lady Forester Trust, and four other Charities, together with some notable donations from individuals. Following additional grants from the National Churches Trust, the National Lottery has now awarded £236000 from its Heritage Fund to complete the Project! The NLHF grant includes provision for an Activity Programme and development of a website to encourage interest in the church’s history and interaction with the local community. For this there are two fixed fee posts to be filled quickly: Heritage Activity Coordinator and Evaluation Consultant. These are 18 month appointments. The maximum fees, inclusive of VAT & Expenses, are respectively £18,000 and £5000. Further details can be obtained from the Project Leaders: Michael Dugdale (michael@pinehill.org.uk) and Michael Sumner (gandmsumner@blackvenn.co.uk). Applications should be submitted by 25 February 2021.
Lookie here
PARISH of WIGMORE ABBEY
St. Barnabas. Brampton Bryan
St. Barnabas. Brampton Bryan. The present church is unusual in that built in 1656, it was one of only six churches built during the period of the English Commonwealth ( There is a leaflet naming the other churches that we believe were built during this time). It replaces an earlier building that was destroyed during the siege of Brampton Bryan castle during the civil war in 1643. The breadth of the church is all out of proportion to its length. Its nave and chancel are one, all covered by a very fine double hammer beam roof. The church contains one early 14th century monument to Lady Margaret de Brampton, shown holding her heart in her hands. St Barnabas is unlike a mainstream Anglican Church, the interior has been described as a 'Puritans Preaching Box'. More of this is available in leaflets in the church. Brampton Bryan village was destroyed during the English Civil War when the castle was besieged. This image of the Civil War re-enactors shows the armies marching back through the mists of time
I
Forward St Barnabas
St Barnabas has successfully completed the first phase of its major Forward St Barnabas project for urgent repairs and improvements. Initial support for this from the Heritage Lottery Fund was followed by significant Grants from the Herefordshire Historic Churches Trust, Garfield Weston Foundation, Harley Charity, All Churches Trust, Laslett Charities, Lady Forester Trust, and four other Charities, together with some notable donations from individuals. Following additional grants from the National Churches Trust, the National Lottery has now awarded £236000 from its Heritage Fund to complete the Project! The NLHF grant includes provision for an Activity Programme and development of a website to encourage interest in the church’s history and interaction with the local community. For this there are two fixed fee posts to be filled quickly: Heritage Activity Coordinator and Evaluation Consultant. These are 18 month appointments. The maximum fees, inclusive of VAT & Expenses, are respectively £18,000 and £5000. Further details can be obtained from the Project Leaders: Michael Dugdale (michael@pinehill.org.uk) and Michael Sumner (gandmsumner@blackvenn.co.uk). Applications should be submitted by 25 February 2021.
Lookie here