St. James. Wigmorewas founded as a collegiate church by the powerful Mortimer family. It lies on the site of an earlier Saxon building. The building has a very early Norman nave. Herringbone masonry is visible on the outside of the north wall.The church stands above the village, and with the ruined castle, dominates the village and surroundings of Wigmore. The churchyard cross is much restored. It stands on a 14th century base, with an ogee-headed niche. This feature is found in a number of churches along The Marches.More rare inside is a piscina high on the south wall by the chancel arch. This is a legacy of the original rood screen which, unusually, had an altar on it.Since 2007, work on the roof and the internal walls exposed some more Saxon Herringbone brickwork. Sections of this brickwork has been left exposed for viewing. It is dated around 1050.The Weather Cock was restored and re-guilded for the millenium. Bullet Holes made by the Home Guard in the Second World War were filled with coins of the year before the reguilding process. and the clock mechanism has also undergone restoration.Reverend Alexander CloggieVicarofSt. JamesWigmore(1614- 1698), tells it in his book Vox corvi of an incident where a young boy believes that he has been told by a raven to read the passage from Colossians chapter 3 verse 15. This image was taken on Christmas Day 2011
St. James. Wigmore
St James church Church Wigmore has been declared to be a ‘Festival’ Church. St. James has been declared a ‘Festival Church’However, having said that, there is a short service of Morning Prayer held at 10.00am on every third SundayWigmore Community have spent three years setting up a scheme to use the church for services as well as a resource centre, café and chill out spot for walkers going to the castle. However planning permission has been refused because the parking posed a problem.Whilst dead the project is not buried and hope flickers.Recognition and thanks is due to the project committee for the huge amount of work undertaken by them.